Instructor, Student Services Coordinator.
- GRIT Workshops.
- Student Advising/Career Counseling/Crisis Intervention/Mediation.
- Retention/Success Efforts.
- Supervise Student Teaching Assistant Program (STA).
- Student Activities and Student Groups.
- Speak at Meetings/Guest Lectures: Pre-Pre-Clin Meeting, Pre-Clin Orientation, Intern Orientation, Intern Exit Meeting, Graduation.
- VTNE Resources.
- Special Events: Open House, NVTW, Halloween, Craft Fair, Socials.
- Campus Safety (CSA), Title IX, Emergency Management.
- Web updates (CEs, volunteer opportunities, updates to policies, etc.).
- Administration of Admissions Enrollment Exam.
Working at Bel-Rea marks my third career adventure, and I couldn’t be more grateful for this opportunity! Originally from Canada, I grew up in Ohio and graduated college with a B.A. in Psychology and English. From there I earned my masters in Clinical Psychology from Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. I have always been fascinated by human behavior and love helping people overcome emotional and general life issues. During my time at Rutgers, I worked with children in foster care, college-aged students with issues such as anxiety and depression, and adults with eating disorders. I also had the opportunity to work for an amazing non-profit in Princeton that developed and implemented peer leadership programs in schools throughout New Jersey. I became fascinated by prevention education programs and shifted my focus away from individual therapy and on to group facilitation and program implementation.
My second career focused on customer service, training and software program implementation, this time in the corporate setting. As the client services point person for our international clients, I had the opportunity to travel to many different countries, training departments on best practices for learning management systems. After moving to Colorado 7 years ago, I decided to become a consultant and continue my work as a software trainer and implementation specialist. It was through this journey that I realized how much I missed being in the helping fields.
Always a passionate animal lover, I decided to go back to school to learn the medical side of helping animals. My initial goal as a student at Bel-Rea was to become a vet tech and manager of an animal shelter. However, the stars aligned in a slightly different way than expected, and when I saw the Student Services Coordinator position at Bel-Rea, I knew it was the ideal job for me! What better job than helping students help animals?! Instructor since 2016.
"Can I Hang? Ideal Time to Replace Isotonic Crystalloid Intravenous Fluids and Sets to Prevent Fluid Contamination and Blood Stream Infection: a Knowledge Summary." Erik Fausak, Samantha Spelts, Rebecca Brown. Veterinary Evidence Knowledge Summary, Vol 1, No 4 (2016).
"An Evidence-based Approach to Environmental Disinfection and Patient Preparation" Erik Fausak, Samantha Spelts, Samantha Scritsmier, Rebecca Brown, Coral Westerhoff, Matthew Gleeman, Lindsey Towery, and Nathaly Cardona. June/July 2016 Issue, NAVTA Journal.
- GRIT Workshops to increase student success/retention through changing mind-set and increasing positive outlook.
- Increase resources provided to students prior to starting classes at Bel-Rea (e.g. review materials).
- Wellness events.